Science of Social Support
This training was presented on April 7, 2023
TRAINING MATERIALS & RESOURCES:
- Note-taking Slides (3/page)
- Video: The Good Life (2:59)
- Activity: My 5 Group
- Activity: Social Connections Bingo
- Tool: Social Support Ecogram
Social Support Survey Instrument
Research demonstrates that one in four children and one in five adults in the United States are struggling with loneliness resulting in behavioral health conditions. Social connections comprise an important component of a happy and healthy life. All people need support in their lives, and especially people who are struggling due to mental health or substance use conditions. This presentation addresses how to work with those in need of expanding their social connections. Data on the benefits of social connections will be provided, in addition to understanding how a lack of connection impacts individuals mentally and physically. Techniques for assessment and development of social connections will also be shared.
- Understand the value and benefits of social support
- Learn to utilize tools to assess social support
- Be introduced to activities to enhance social support
Who Should Attend: All staff of family resource centers (FRCs), child abuse prevention councils (CAPCs), community-based organizations, and other child- and family-serving systems.
Important Training Information:
- This is a webinar-style training. This means that you will not be on camera and will not be able to see other learners. This training will not include breakout rooms. Opportunities to interact with the presenter(s) and other participants will be included.
- This training will be recorded. The recording will be available to registered learners within 2 days of the training.
- By registering for a CalTrin training, you consent to be added to the CalTrin mailing list.