Exploring Succession Planning
This workshop was presented on
November 2, 2023
Some leaders are looking seriously toward retirement, some are looking for a change or advancement in their careers, and some are simply dealing with health and/or emergency situations, yet executive directors, board members, and senior leadership aren’t sure how to plan for a successful transition – in one year, two years, or a much longer time horizon. Succession planning is not just about “replacement” planning! Done well, this continuous process will broaden and develop your bench and ensure stable leadership for both planned departures and emergency situations. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to see what options will work best for strengthening your organization and preparing your team for an eventual change in leadership, whether it’s the Executive Director, the Board Chair, or any of the other leaders within your organization.
During this training, we will look at:
- What should you consider?
- What will it take to make the transition work well?
- How do you talk about it with board members, staff, and funders?
- What are some recent examples and lessons learned on this subject?
- Review considerations for preparing your team for an eventual change in leadership
- Map out a plan for transition of the senior leadership position
Who should attend:
Executive Directors, CEOs, Senior Directors, other senior leader roles, and Board Chairs of family resource centers, child abuse prevention councils and other nonprofit child and family-serving community-based organizations and systems.
This training will focus on successful transitions for EDs, Board Members, Senior Leadership, and any other key staff or volunteers in the organization.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
- This is an interactive training. Please be prepared to participate in activities such as group discussion, break out rooms, and/or demonstration. Your training experience will be best with the use of a web cam, audio, and a training environment conducive to active participation.
- This training will NOT be recorded.
- This is a small-group training. Spaces are limited space and there may be a waiting list. Preference will be given to applicants from California. Applicants will be contacted by the week of October 16, 2023.
- CalTrin “No Show” Policy. While CalTrin training is provided at no cost to learners, it requires significant financial and human resources to provide high-quality, small-group interactive training experiences. In addition, these trainings frequently have a waiting list. Applicants who are selected but dodo not attend and do not contact CalTrin in advance may not be selected for future application-based small group trainings.
- By registering for a CalTrin training, you consent to be added to the CalTrin mailing list.
See what previous CalTrin participants took away from this training…
I will use this information as I assist our CEO and Deputy in succession planning, as well as transition planning for some of our C-level teammates. I enjoyed the small group discussion.
It was great information! …my Board Chair and I will work together to start on an Emergency Succession Plan as well as a longer-term Succession Plan.
Thanks for this invaluable resource. [I will] start assessing all current program director roles and responsibilities.
Loved the interaction activities and the PowerPoint slides.
[I will] meet with our ED to begin development of a succession plan…and continue developing the year-at-a-glance calendar. Really enjoyed the breakout groups.