Children with Problematic Sexual Behavior
Originally presented on
April 7, 2022
This webinar will introduce the topic of problematic sexual behaviors (PSB) in children and youth and discuss ways that helping professionals can support children who exhibit or are impacted by PSB and their families.
- Become familiar with terminology around problematic sexual behavior
- Understand typical versus problematic sexual behavior
- Recognize myths about PSB and their corresponding facts
- Become familiar with treatment approaches and ways to support children and families impacted by PSB
Who should attend: All staff of family resource centers (FRCs), child abuse prevention councils (CAPCs), and other child and family-serving organizations.
Training Materials & Resources
- Presentation Deck (full-size slides)
- Note-taking slides (3/page)
- What Happens Now: Facing Sexual Behavior Problems with Your Child
- What We Can Do: Understanding Children and Youth with Problematic Sexual Behaviors
- NCSBY Fact Sheet: Children with Sexual Behavior Problems: Common Misconceptions vs. Current Findings
- Effective Treatment for Youth with Problematic Sexual Behaviors
MEET THE SPEAKER
In her role at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego, Melissa Bernstein, PhD, directs the Advancing California’s Trauma-Informed Systems (ACTS) and Trauma-Informed Licensing Team (TILT) Initiatives. Her research centers around supporting systems in planning for, implementing, and sustaining trauma-Informed change that aligns with best practice and science.