Introduction to Strengthening Families: Focus on the Protective Factors Framework
Originally presented on November 30, 2021
Strengthening Families™ is a research-informed approach to increase family strengths, enhance child development, and reduce the likelihood of child abuse and neglect. The five Protective Factors at the foundation of Strengthening Families are characteristics that have been shown to make positive outcomes more likely for young children and their families. Join us to learn more about the Protective Factor Framework and how you can use it, both personally and professionally, to make a difference in the lives of the families you serve.
- Understand the origin and purpose of the Strengthening Families Framework as it relates to families, programs, and communities.
- List, define, and give examples of the five Strengthening Families Protective Factors and the everyday actions that support their development.
- Practice reframing challenging situations using a strength-based perspective.
- Examine the Protective Factors as they relate to the mitigation and prevention of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and the development of Positive Childhood Experiences (PCEs).
- Make a plan to incorporate Strengthening Families into your life and work.
Who should attend: All staff of family resource center (FRCs), child abuse prevention councils (CAPCs), and other family-serving organizations.
Click the button above to access the training materials. Note: you will need to log in to your CalTrin account, or create a free one here.
MEET THE SPEAKERS
Maureen Durning is the Owner/Director of Butterfly Trainings that Transform, LLC, a Strengthening Families™ training and consulting firm in Boise, Idaho. She is the co-author of numerous Strengthening Families curricula, most recently STRONG: Teaching the Strengthening Families™ Protective Factor Framework to Parents and Professionals. Maureen was the Strengthening Families coordinator for Idaho Association for the Education of Young Children. She has trained hundreds of trainers nationally and has presented at numerous national conferences. Maureen’s passions are parenting education, child abuse prevention, and creating trainings that are effective, fun, and powerful.
Jane Zink has been working to strengthen families and improve outcomes for children for about 20 years. She helps to build early childhood systems that use the Strengthening Families Protective Factor Framework™ to promote strengths in families and family-serving organizations. Jane has created nationally recognized trainings for professionals and parents and is the co-author of STRONG: Teaching the Strengthening Families Protective Factor Framework to Parents and Professionals. She consults with partners across sectors to help them intentionally implement the framework in their everyday interactions with families.
Butterfly Trainings that Transform