Pre-work: The Hidden Biases of Good People and Implicit Bias Mitigation
Implicit Association Test (IAT)
Project Implicit is a non-profit organization and international collaboration between researchers who are interested in implicit social cognition – thoughts and feelings outside of conscious awareness and control. The goal of the organization is to educate the public about hidden biases and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data on the Internet. The Implicit Association Test (IAT) measures attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report. The IAT may be especially interesting if it shows that you have an implicit attitude that you did not know about.
PLEASE TAKE THE IMPLICIT ASSOCIATIONS TEST (IAT) 1-2 DAYS BEFORE THE WEBINAR
(The test should take 10 – 12 minutes)
- Go to this website: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html
- At the very bottom of the page, to the left – select “Take A Test.”
- On the “Preliminary Information” page, at the bottom, select “I wish to proceed.”
- When provided with the list of tests, please select the Race (Black – White’ IAT) (Hidden Biases of Good People webinar) OR select the (Gender-Career IAT) (Implicit Bias Mitigation workshop)
- Print the results page or save the results page as a pdf or screenshot. You will reference the results as part of the training.
- We will use polling software that will allow attendees to anonymously submit their results; participants will not have to submit their results page.
- We will discuss the group’s results as a whole.
Use the Implementation Worksheet and apply Dr. Marks AAA Model [Assessment, Awareness (Buy-in), Action] with your Organization
Recommended by Dr. Bryant Marks, National Institute on Race & Equity
Dr. Marks recommended the following books during The Hidden Biases of Good People webinar (April 28, 2021):
- A People’s History of the US by Howard Zinn
- From Slavery to Freedom by John Hope Franklin
- Biased by Jennifer Eberhardt
- Blind Spot by Mahzarin Banaji and Anthony Greenwald
- The Person You Mean to Be by Dolly Chugh