- This event has passed.
Childhood Trauma and the Developing Brain
April 20 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm PDTFree
- Provide an overview of typical brain organization and childhood development
- Discuss the impact of traumatic experiences on the development of the brain
- Examine the psychological, developmental, and neurological impacts of early adverse experiences including neglect, abuse and exposure to domestic violence
- Provide tools for assessing and understanding traumatized, neglected, and abused children
- Discuss developmentally appropriate and trauma-informed treatment options for children who have experienced abuse and neglect
- Discuss the healing power of relationships and community resources
Dr. Megan Zappitelli is a child and adolescent psychiatrist and a Clinical Assistant Professor at Prisma Health University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville in the department of psychiatry. She is board certified in Pediatrics, Adult Psychiatry, and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Habeebah Rasheed Grimes, LSPSY has made serving Northeast Ohio’s most vulnerable children her life’s work. As CEO of Positive Education Program (PEP), Habeebah leads a staff of over 400 professionals committed to helping children with severe mental health and behavioral challenges learn and grow.